Sunday, October 30, 2005

Preparation of music experiences for children.

I find that when I play the music (or tune) on a radio (in the background) before I introduce the song,
the children can get it. As compared to if you are just teaching the song then. What I did a lot was, when I send my children home after school, I normally test out the songs with the youngest child to see how they will respond to it. If the youngest child can respond to it, the older ones would not be a problem. But it is not the same if vice versa...

My observations have made me realise that it is easier to teach or introduce songs to older children, (5 and above), but for younger children, (4 and below), it is a bit difficult. This is due to reasons such as, the children's spoken vocabulary is not there, and developmental reasons, the children just do not seem to respond to it. (My group of 3 & 4 year olds, in particular).

Songs which have lyrics repetitive makes it easy for the children to grasp the words of the song. Songs that have too many words, too wordy, will just float and is beyond my children's comprehension level, so much so that they lose interest whilst listening halfway to the song.

Children also like & enjoying listening to tunes which sound quirky, squeaky, greasy and of fast beat. Even though there are no words to it, the child requested that I replay the song over and over again. *Cute, huh?*

I can say, in preparing and planning suitable music experiences for children, in my opinion, firstly is that the teacher has to be trained in the technicalities of music. The rest is based on trial and error and what the teacher can deduce from it, and seeing the children's responses to it.

No comments:

Amazon Recommends...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails