Saturday, April 11, 2009

Part 1: Australia Permanent Residence (885) via Child Care Co-ordinator

There has been many changes to the Skilled Migration Programme to Australia of late, in wake of the recent Economy Recession that has hit Australia. The government has already placed a cap on the 2008-2009 General Skilled Migration (GSM) Program.

However, this does not affect the Migration Occupation In Demand List (MODL), or Skilled Occupation List (SOL), where Child-Care Coordinator is among one of the occupations in demand to be eligible for application for migration to Australia.
As a disclaimer, this entry is written based on my previous personal experience in the process of my application for migration to Australia.

If you are researching/Google-ing for information on making an application for migration to Australia, take this entry with a pinch of salt, and make your own informed research to what is best suitable for your case.

When I completed my tertiary studies at the end of semester 3- 2007, it had hit me that there was much uncertainty of what my next step would be.To get some breathing space, I decided to head over to Down Under's nearest & dearest neighbouring country, New Zealand. I had promised my nieces years before, that I would go and visit them. What more a better time to go than then...

Fast backwards to three years ago.... 2006.

When I first enrolled to complete my (Bachelor. Early Childhood) B.ECH at University of Southern Queensland on-site in Toowoomba, it was only for one year with a total of about 6 units of courses left till completion. At the same time, I was waiting for the results of my International Montessori Diploma to be ready.

To provide some information to the uninitiated, the B.ECH is a three year degree teacher training programme only found in the state of Queensland, Australia. It is also otherwise known as Bachelor of Teaching in New South Wales. The general rule-of-the-thumb now is should the degree take three years to complete, it by law normally does not allow the holder to be qualified to be registered for employment in public schools around Australia. This rule stands among the different states in Australia, although the qualification might be known under a different title or name in each state.

Halfway through the year, I decided to change my enrolment to the (Bachelor. Education) B.ED which is a four-year program.Anyways, to cut the story short, at the end of my fourth year (where I was doing the lot of extra 3rd year units to complete the programme) I decided to revert back to my original programme, which was a B.ECH (a 3 year program). The reasons to my exit was that it was out of my control to be able to complete my practicum on time in order to graduate.

During the period of my time of studies, in order to obtain a legal student visa to complete our studies, students must have units of studies which contributes to the accumulation of credit in order to extend the duration of the student visa. However the teaching practicums did not fall under that category, and did not have any credit value to it. Teaching practicums however, needed to be completed before the student could graduate with the degree however.

However, halfway through the final year I realised I had problems with my practicum.....

What happened to Chea-Yee's practicum at university? Find out in the next instalment of this exciting drama of "WHAT HAPPENED TO CHEA-YEE'S TEACHING PRACTICUM". ^^


Anonymous said...

Hi, Im going to study at USQ toowoomba this july,but I heard from my friends, Springfield is much better than Toowoomba.May I ask ur opinion, which one is better? Btw, Im gonna take Bachelor of Education ( Primary ) , Ive read your blog,it says that you swift ur course from BECH to B.Edu and you change it back to BECH.Why is that? Are you currently working as a teacher in Australia? reply back

CheaYee said...

Hi there....

yes.. tricky question, isn't it?

Well, thnking in terms of whether to choose Springfield, or Toowoomba, you'd have to look at what courses are available at both the campuses, and their facilities.

Try to do a bit of research at the facilities there too. I am not sure how Springfield is like, but I stayed on at Toowoomba as I had my "company of friends" there, even though it was "kampung" like...

The only reason I changed from BECH to B.Edu is because I wanted to study another year. B.ECH is also part of B.ED (Primary) so i only had to complete another year....
To apply for PR in australia, you need to have studied at least two years full load per semester.

Will explain more in my next entry. ^^

Anonymous said...

Having been a part of the Online Universal Work Marketing team for 4 months now, I’m thankful for my fellow team members who have patiently shown me the ropes along the way and made me feel welcome

Amazon Recommends...


Related Posts with Thumbnails