Learning Activity 5.3
A lesson overview for a Guided Reading lesson for a Year 1 class is as follows:
Before Reading: Key Learning Area/ Subject: English
Year Level: 1
1. Learning Objective: To read texts with students in Blue Group.(Beginning readers).
2. Resources: What is it? ( text for Beginning Readers).
Students are each given a copy of the book.
3. Prior Knowledge:
* Students make use of visual cues to help in their reading.
* Students have some knowledge of the animals in the pictures in the book.
The Guided Reading Lesson:
* Teacher introduces book and title of book with students.
* Teacher discusses the illustration of the cover with students
* Teacher points to the word and reads it.
* Students follow the reading aloud in their little books.
* Teacher asks students questions of the pictures
-What can you see from the picture?
* Teacher relates objects in the pictures to student’s life
- Where have you seen this before? What did you think of it
- What colour was it? How did it look like?
- Were you scared/happy/sad? Why were you scared/happy/sad?
- What did you do?
- Teacher read and summarizes with the students what they have just read.
- What is this? This is a ______
- Children look at the picture and give the answers.
After Reading:7. Extension activities:
* Teacher revisits this text with children using other activities such as using cloze activities and asking children to find missing words and match.
* Teacher makes matching strips and asks children to match sentence strips to word with pictures covered.