Thursday, October 11, 2007

Delayed!

Today I was late for lecture! Actually I thought that I'd be the latest, but when I arrived, I found out that less than half of the students were in attendance....the class ended an hour before the anticipated due time. Oh well..

Anyways, the point of this entry is to inform all that I WAS supposed to start my second practicum in a primary school next week. However when I checked with the staff at the uni today, apparently the schools were "overpacked" with student teachers undertaking practical experience at the same time.

For me, I'd rather wait till the present cohort of students are done with their pract. That way I have more time to prepare before going in. I just can't "rock in" into any school without any information nor background knowledge, or planning (for success).

So yes, that means I have to call up D.H and tell them I am going in for volunteer work for the next two weeks. At least that will help me (mentally, & emotionally) to prepare for the behaviour strategies aspect of the teaching that I have to undertake. =P

Anyway, to prepare for the upcoming pract, I was advised (not too long ago) to borrow this book called First Days of School: How to be an Effective Teacher by Harry.K.Wong, from the uni library (which I did. The book is written by a team of husband-wife teachers from America. I've read some portions of it so far, and still trying to get the hang out of it. Some of the strategies that Wong recommends do make sense, but there are some which I find are a bit unorthodox (and I've not heard of before). As such, I am trying to do some research and validate if his strategies are effective or not.

I've also borrowed the Queensland Handwriting Resource for Lower Primary CD to which I will be printing out worksheets to practice my handwriting on. =P Oh well....All in the day's work of a teacher...

No comments:

Amazon Recommends...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails